Saturday, March 31, 2007

Can you make yourself fall in Love with Selling?

A Singaporean who came into my sales training recently asked this questions: I don’t really like selling, is there anyway to make me like selling? I am asking this because I know selling is the number 1 skill needed to start any business.

“This is a difficult question”, I told him. It’s like telling me “I don’t love her, can you make me love her?”

There are many possibilities why someone do not like selling. I shall discuss 3.


(1) You are not getting the result you desire or deserve.

Even within this reason, there are many explanations …

The most common is you do not have the skills to succeed in this profession. While motivation and passion are important (assuming you already have them), you need the necessary skill sets before you can get into action.

On the other hand, you may have some of these skills, but lack practice.

Other possibilities includes:
- you do not have a system for success. I discussed this on my posting on 26 Feb 2007.
- you have everything you need, but lacks the discipline to take consistent action,

I will cover these 2 points in the free eCourse on www.AsiaSalesAcadmey.com which I plan to launch within the next 30 days. In the mean time, leave me a note if you need anything.


(2) You are NOT completely sold yourself.

I want to share an analogy that came from my mentor, Tom “Big Al” Schreiter in his book “Super Prospecting” …

If you are like most people, you love to eat.

What if on a Sat night you visited a fine dining restaurant for a buffet dinner. You discovered there are over 200 different dishes and 50 different types of desserts. What’s more interesting was you paid only $9.90, including tax and service charge, and your partner get to dine for free.

On Monday morning, when you get back to the office what you be telling your colleagues? The $9.90 for 2 eat-all-you-want buffer dinner of course!

Compare that to many people in the selling profession.

We procrastinate picking up the phone. We are afraid when we meet our customers. We are worried about telling our relatives what we do for a living? We don’t wish to tell them we are in the profession of selling because we don’t want them to think we want to make money out of them.

Reluctance in selling comes from not being completely sold yourself. If you are not excited and convinced about your product, than you might be selling a wrong product. Look for something else to sell.


(3) You do not understand the real meaning of selling.

Why would anyone buy from you in the first place?

Because you (or your product or service) help them to save money, time or effort. At least they think or perceive so. Otherwise, they would not part with their hard-earn money to exchange for what you are selling.

In other word, when you sell, you are helping your clients. You are providing the solution to their current problem. While many of us are not entirely comfortable about making money from sales, I can confidently say that everyone that I have met till today is willing to help and make a contribution to another person life.

Selling is helping people. It is understanding and BELIEVING this principle that often differentiate great sales from average sales people.



Having said all these, no one can make you love something that you have no feelings over. It’s a chemistry that no one can explain.

teck beng
www.coachme2sell.com

No comments:

Can't find what you are looking for, Try Google Search

Google